Set up your Shopify App
Are you ready to give back and make a difference with your business? With our easy-to-use Shopify integration, you can set up automatic donations based on your sales and fundraise for a specific cause. No need to be a developer, just follow these steps below to get started.
To be able to automatically book donations whenever an order has been paid in your Shopify shop and based on a set of rules, you need to set up an integration program that has a web hook connected to your shop.
Create Shopify API credentials
Create a custom app in your Shopify shop:
- Go to admin settings
- Click Apps and sales channels
- Create custom app
- Click ‘configure Admin API access scopes’ and add: ‘read_orders’ and ‘read_products’
- Set the API version to 2022-10 and save
- Under the ‘API credentials’ tab, klick ‘install app’. Then reveal the Admin API Access Token and copy and save the token in a secure place.
You will only be able to access this once, and you will need it for a later step for setting up the actual integration.
Create a Milkywire integration
Creating a new integration
Once logged in to the Partner Portal, navigate to
Solutions and scroll down to the
Available solutions section. Click on the
Create new button, on the Shopify solution card.
- Set up your integrations based on your preferences.
- Name your integration*
- Set a default currency and default cause(s)
You can choose one or up to five different causes:
Oceans and seas,
Forests and landscapes.
When done just click the
Create button at the bottom right.
- The name of your integration will be displayed to end users when following up on their donations.
Fill in your Shopify credentials
Fill out the Shopify integration section of the donation program with:
- Shopify domain (e.g. thisismyshop.myshopify.com)
- API secret key, which you find under the ‘API credentials’ tab on the settings page of your Shopify store.
- Admin API Access Token, which you now should be storing somewhere secure and gotten from when you previously set up your custom store app in Shopify.
Add your rules
Add one or more rules that apply. This is what decides when a donation will be created. If you choose to create a rule that’s based on a tag, only products within a purchase - with the specified tag - will generate a donation.